gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:45:41 -0700

address@hidden said:
>  I said:
>>  Try sntp -d xxx or ntpdate -d xxx  (ntpdate is depricated)

[context is ntptrace not working]
> So I should try a deprecated tool over a maintained one from the ntpd
> package?

I assume your "maintained one" refers to ntptrace.  It's not a mainline tool.
 (Maybe is should be.)

ntpdate is deprecated.  Harlan and the ntpd community have been trying to get
rid of it for years.  The idea is that sntp should do everything it does.
But all sorts of people have ntpdate wired into scripts and their fingers.

Their printout is different.  If you are writing scripts or documentation,
please use sntp.  If you are poking at your keyboard, ntpdate might be easier
to use.

If you find a case where ntpdate works for you but sntp doesn't, please file
a bug over at https://bugs.ntp.org/

> I find ntptrace works almost all the time, I'll stick to that, when I can.
[ntpq/mode 6 restricted]
> Ah, never seen that problem before, and I use ntptrace a lot.  I'll watch
> for it.

It's quite common for servers exposed to the big bad internet to "restrict"
mode 6 packets from the outside world and allow them from the local net.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.