gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Draft Time Service HOWTO is beginning to approach final f

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Draft Time Service HOWTO is beginning to approach final form
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 18:47:24 -0700

Yo Harlan!

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 01:39:38 +0000
Harlan Stenn <address@hidden> wrote:

> > 1. ntpd has a built in hold timer at startup before it does any
> > grooming of the clock.  It defaults to 300 seconds:
> > http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/clock.html
> > http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/miscopt.html#tinker
> > That's a nice hard minimum time to wait for the HOWTO.
>
> That's a choice if one is only looking to sync with a local refclock
> that may be in cold-start.
>
> What would be better is to use this as a means to motivate GPS and
> other refclock vendors to do a better job reporting "state" -
> precision, error, etc.

gpsd used to report expected precision to ntpd but it never did anything.
So it was removed.  see ntpshm.c around line 394

If there is a way to give it, we'll give it.

> If one has a good drift file and the upstreams are in good shape, ntpd
> can do a restart and  achieve full sync in about 11 seconds' time.

That is a LOT of assumptions!  And pretty unbelieable since the default
poll time is 64 seconds.

> But since most folks here are keenly aware of the differences between
> mechanism and policy I'm not particularly concerned.

Ditto.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588