gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 19:25:58 +0000

"Gary E. Miller" writes:
> On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 11:44:47 +0200
> Miroslav Lichvar <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > The last sentence in the paragraph should possibly be removed too.
> > I don't think there is a fudge option to compensate for an asymmetry
> > in the network delay. Large symmetric delays are not a problem.
>
> Looking at the ntp.conf man page I see that fudge's can only be applied
> to local reference clocks.  So I agree.

Once upon a time I remember offset fudge could be applied to other
sources as well.  Or at least I wanted it to work.

If a good case can be made for allowing this now I'm willing to consider
it, and it would be far better to see if there are better ways to fix
the underlying problem (one-way delay measurement).