gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Fwd: Re: Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Fwd: Re: Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 16:13:11 -0700

Yo Greg!

> Also, I found that there's some difficulty with v4/v6.  My DNS query
> went over v6 and returned an IP address that was about 96 ms away.
> But, I have a v6 tunnel to chicago from massachusetts, for historical
> reasons.  Redoing the query over v4 gave me a host in columbus ohio
> that was only 20 ms away.
>
> So I wonder if ntpd needs a way to forcemake dns queries over the AF
> that it's going to use, or to try multiple ways and choose lower
> latency.

Several RFCs say to prefer IPv6 over IPv4.  Almost all IPv6 aware
programs like browsers Part of the rational is to alert people to their
sucky IPv6 and get it fixed. :-)

Many programs, like ssh and rsync, have -4 and -6 options to prefer one
over the other.  Nice to have after you have identified your problem and
your upstream will not fix it.

> But this is really off-topic for gpsd.

Yes.

RGDS