gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Fwd: Re: Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Fwd: Re: Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 16:45:59 -0700

Yo Harlan!

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 23:30:00 +0000
Harlan Stenn <address@hidden> wrote:

> Beat Bolli writes:
>
> > I got this private mail from Ask Bj=C3=B8rn Hansen of NTP Pool fame
> > where he implies that the pool DNS servers use some IP-based
> > geolocation jiggery-pokery that should return geographically close
> > pool server addresses even if one queries the generic pool domain.
> >
> > So maybe these sections of the HOWTO can be reverted to use the
> > top-level pool domain?
>
> I'd recommend against being "too smart" and offering potentially
> conflicting information.

Or wrong info.  At least wrong in my case.

> If vendor Foo has foo.pool.ntp.org and recommends that its worldwide
> customer base use that name to resolve time servers, I suspect these
> new docs should honor this.  The pool framework should (if it doesn't
> already) be able to geolocate this situation too.

You can, and they recommend, using:
        <<location>>.foo.ntp.orgPOOL.

That way if vendor foo (D-link) makes a mistake they can remove
that domain from DNS and save the servers.

> But I have not chatted with Ask about this.

But vendor pools are docmented:

    http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/vendors.html

> Lots of the various pieces of this puzzle evolve.

I actually feel good that we just have a few things to wrap up.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588