gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 11:26:39 -0400

Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> > My plan is to actually run the whole tuning and measurement procedure
> > we describe using the EVK 6H on RS232.  Maybe build some tools
>
> Actually see if the document is complete?  Oh, the horror.

I believe I claimed to be good at this.  An important part of "good"
is spending the effort required to sanity-check what you document.

Besides, the EVK 6H is plain fun to play with.

> So far I;ve been seeing under +/- 10 mSec offset and under +/- 1
> mSec of jitter, but that is on a high speed connection on the lightly
> loaded server.

Yeah, I think the way I'm going to handle this is to drop back to
giving 10mSec as "expected" and then list factors that can degrade
that towards 100mSec.

> Be sure g et a cable modem user, those are aweful.

And that goes on the list of negative factors.