gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Draft Time Service HOWTO is beginning to approach final f

From: Andy Walls
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Draft Time Service HOWTO is beginning to approach final form
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 11:33:13 -0400

On Fri, 2013-10-25 at 10:22 -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Andy Walls <address@hidden>:
> > I was going to hack up my GPSD to indicate a clock alarm to NTPD until I
> > know my device is providing good time.
>
> Perhaps this is a patch that should go into the main line?  I can't judge
> until I know what a "clock alarm" is supposed to do.

In gpsd's ntpshm.c, setting

        shmTime->leap = LEAP_NOTINSYNC;

tells ntpd that the shared memory clock is in alarm.  ntpd essentially
ignores clocks that are in alarm.

I am hoping that while a clock is in alarm status, ntpd won't declare it
a falseticker, so that when it comes out of alarm, it will be
immediately useful to ntpd.

Regards,
Andy