gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Help on using git

From: Sanjeev Gupta
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Help on using git
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 10:15:22 +0800

Hi,

I have fed some changes to ESR by sending him diffs.  This works, because it uses tools I have been using for 20 years.  However, with the increasing use of git, it is becoming difficult to contribute in most OSS projects.

To start with, I cannot figure out how to get only one file from http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gpsd.git/
to work on.  I need to download the entire tree (which is not undoable, but I am on the Ubuntu 14.05 Trusty branch, and git is broken tonight).

So would anyone be willing to give me a cheat sheet, specific to the GPSD project?  Should I create an account on github?  Savannah?  I push from my laptop to github, ESR or Gary pulls from there?

I started out in coding 25 years ago using TDMA, you told people you would be working from 10pm till late on the tree, and others chose other times.  Since terminals were anyway limited, I do not recall ever having 3-way merge issues, or lock, or concurrency problems.  Ah, the good old days.

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane