gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] ncurses path issues on NetBSD

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: [gpsd-dev] ncurses path issues on NetBSD
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 19:54:30 -0400

This note is an attempt to describe what I know so far in case anyone
else sees the issue.   I have on my todo list to fix this properly, but
I don't know when that will happen.  Take all of the following with at
least a few grains of salt.

gpsd runs ncurses5-config to find the include path.  On my system,
that's:
  $ ncurses5-config --cflags
  -I/usr/pkg/include/ncurses
and there are 21 files.

I have 5.9 of ncurses5 installed.

Several of the ncurses headers include other ncurses stuff:

  curses.h:#include <ncurses/ncurses_dll.h>
  curses.h:#include <ncurses/unctrl.h>
  cursesapp.h:#include <ncurses/cursslk.h>
  cursesf.h:#include <ncurses/cursesp.h>
  cursesm.h:#include <ncurses/cursesp.h>
  cursesp.h:#include <ncurses/cursesw.h>
  cursesw.h:#include <ncurses/etip.h>
  cursslk.h:#include <ncurses/cursesw.h>
  etip.h:#include <ncurses/ncurses_dll.h>
  etip.h:#include <ncurses/eti.h>
  form.h:#include <ncurses/curses.h>
  form.h:#include <ncurses/eti.h>
  menu.h:#include <ncurses/curses.h>
  menu.h:#include <ncurses/eti.h>
  ncurses.h:#include <ncurses/ncurses_dll.h>
  ncurses.h:#include <ncurses/unctrl.h>
  panel.h:#include <ncurses/curses.h>
  term.h:#include <ncurses/ncurses_dll.h>
  term_entry.h:#include <ncurses/term.h>
  termcap.h:#include <ncurses/ncurses_dll.h>
  tic.h:#include <ncurses/curses.h>
  unctrl.h:#include <ncurses/curses.h>

but they do so with ncurses/ in the path.  This won't be found if
-I/usr/pkg/include/ncurses and not -I/usr/pkg/include (includedir for
prefix=/usr/pkg) is included.

gpsd includes <curses.h>, so it expects it in the search path (which
seems normal).  With the -I above, it finds the ncurses version.

So I made a symlink /usr/pkg/include/ncurses/ncurses => . so that the
above includes will resolve even without /usr/pkg/include in the search
path.

I suspect this bug doesn't show up on GNU/Linux because /usr/include is
always in the search path.