gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Fw: [gpsd-commit-watch] [SCM] GPSD branch, master, update

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Fw: [gpsd-commit-watch] [SCM] GPSD branch, master, updated. release-3.9-523-g51b904c
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 15:29:49 -0400

Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> Build, yes.  Work, no.  As presently designed chrony needs ntpshm.  So
> if you set ntpshm you need to set chrony=no.  All this work to avoid
> compiling 20 lines of code?

No.  All this work to get two different time-reporting modes properly
separated so that the code is maintainable and extensible. Now, when
you fix the code so that chrony *doesn't* depend on the ntpd support,
the result won't be a hairball.

> I would much rather you finally find and fix the very real permissions
> dropping problems.

Working on it.

> >     All regression tests pass.
>
> There are no ntpshm pr chrony regression tests...

I know.  I put those lines in so that when the basic regression tests
fail, I can easily find where to bisect from.