gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Fw: [gpsd-commit-watch] [SCM] GPSD branch, master, updated. r

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Fw: [gpsd-commit-watch] [SCM] GPSD branch, master, updated. release-3.9-523-g51b904c
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:47:31 -0700

Whoops, forgot to replay all...

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:47:00 -0700
From: "Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [gpsd-commit-watch] [SCM] GPSD branch, master, updated.
release-3.9-523-g51b904c

Yo Eric!

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 15:29:49 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> > Build, yes.  Work, no.  As presently designed chrony needs ntpshm.
> > So if you set ntpshm you need to set chrony=no.  All this work to
> > avoid compiling 20 lines of code?
>
> No.  All this work to get two different time-reporting modes properly
> separated so that the code is maintainable and extensible. Now, when
> you fix the code so that chrony *doesn't* depend on the ntpd support,
> the result won't be a hairball.

And your answer starts to show your blind spot.  Ntpshm mode is used
by both ntpd and chrony.  There also has been talk of ntpd supporting
chrony's socket mode.  So you are conflating support for ntpd and chrony
wth support for ntpshm and sockets.

So if you insist on making the code a maintenance nightmare then you
need to have 4 flags, one each for:
        ntpshm
        ntpd
        socket
        chronyd

Then maybe rules like if no ntpshm or socket then turn off ntpd and
chrony support.  Now we make it even easier for maintaners to come up
with non-functioning configurations.

For now more people run ntpd and chronyd in ntpshm mode, so if either
ntpd or chronyd is selected then ntpshm should be selected.

> > I would much rather you finally find and fix the very real
> > permissions dropping problems.
>
> Working on it.

But I guess first it has to be restored to any mode of operation at all.

> I know.  I put those lines in so that when the basic regression tests
> fail, I can easily find where to bisect from.

I would feel better if you also said: time functions tested with
GR-601W.