gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] The carnivorous config bug

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] The carnivorous config bug
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 07:37:11 -0400

Hal Murray <address@hidden>:
> A) scons -c goes through the configuration stuff.  Is there a reason for that?

Yes, scons is designed to work in one pass rather than two and always
does any configure stuff up front before building targets; clean is
just another target. This is good for build consistency, because what
you need to clean may depend on configure options.

> B) a second run of scons -c gets a different configuration.
>
> Running "scons" a second time after "rm .sco*" doesn't get confused like that.

This is the carnivorous config bug, exactly. You could have left the -c off
the second call to scons and would have seen the same misbehavior.  I suspect
it's due to some bug in the scons configure extensions.