gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] [gpsd-commit-watch] [SCM] GPSD branch, master, updated. r

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] [gpsd-commit-watch] [SCM] GPSD branch, master, updated. release-3.9-547-gcbf524c
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 11:22:19 -0400

  commit cbf524c92df8538c28c4df13290424a425d63104
  Author: Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden>
  Date:   Fri Nov 1 11:16:02 2013 -0400

      Another whack at getting the endianness check right.

      We go back to trying toi get the target compiler to do it for us.
      This time, though, we add -I/usr/include/sys to the flags so that
      <endian.h> will pick up BSD-style sys/endian.h if that's where it is.

That sounds like it will work, but it's really gross.

The right thing is to have a configure-time (first half of scons) test
that looks for endian.h and sys/endian.h, and then

  #ifdef HAVE_ENDIAN_H
  etc.

but if this -I/usr/include/sys hackery is limited to figuring out
endianness of the target, and doesn't show up anywhere else, it seems
overlookable :-)

But, as people work on gpsd  on other  than Linux, we're going to run
into more and more of "use this include on X, and that one on Y".