gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] The current bug list

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [gpsd-dev] The current bug list
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 16:51:01 -0400 (EDT)

We're making progress.  Here's the current list of pre-3.10 issues:

1. The carnivorous config bug still needs to be attacked.  A good
   project for somebody who knows Python but not GPSD internals.

2. I suspect the 1PPS instrumentation is buggy - the amount of drift
   in delta plots made on my FIOS connection looks implausibly large.
   To see this, use gpsmon on a GR601-W and watch the DELTA in the PPS
   window.

3. The end-of-hunt guard at libgpsd_core.c:1234 needs to be fixed so it
   both doesn't choke on a SiRF-III and works on TCP/IP messages with
   write boundaries in the middle of packets.

4. The GR601-W causes nasty flicker in gpsmon.  I think the underlying
   problem here might be that gpsd is flapping wildly between driver
   types because it's seeing interspersed u-blox binary and NMEA
   packets.  That in turn is happening because the GR601-W has a
   strange quirk; you can turn on UBX binary reporting *but you can't
   turn off NMEA*. We can't fix this, so we need to recover from it.

5. Somebody other than me or Gary needs to run through the Time
   Service HOWTO's instructions and report on anything that seems
   bogus or missing.

These are in priority order.  I consider 1 and 2 particularly urgent.

In general, the PPS code needs a thorough review by someone who
understands PPS and is neither Gary nor me.  The good news is that the
interface with the rest of the code is properly narrowed now
(something Beat demonstrated by teaching gpsmon to display PPS
events).  The bad news is that its internal data management is
rather opaque and the drift numbers it's producing smell bad.

Have at it!

The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus by the Supreme
Being as his father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the
fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.
        -- Thomas Jefferson, 1823