gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Mysteriously vanishing bugs don't make me happy

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Mysteriously vanishing bugs don't make me happy
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 00:16:46 +0000

"Gary E. Miller" writes:
> > If it can be made to work compatibly with older ntpd versions, I'd
> > like to have this in 3.10.
>
> Harlan: can you give us a pointer esr can understand on how to do that?

Sure, the structure gets extended if a new field gets added.  There is
still unused space in the structure, so the following fields sucked up a
bit of that unused space at the end of the useful data:

 unsigned clockTimeStampNSec;
 unsigned receiveTimeStampNsec;

On old implementations, these values will be 0.

The code does various tests to see if the existing clockTimeStampUSec is
within 1usec of clockTimeStampNSec (and similarly for the
receiveTimeStamp values).  If so, the NSec versions are believed.