gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] build failure, again, due to endian.h issues

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] build failure, again, due to endian.h issues
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 08:59:35 -0500

Greg Troxel <address@hidden>:
> @esr: I've said something like this several times, and you haven't
> addressed it.  Please do.

I have addresed it.  You must have missed that mail.

> It's obvious to me that the right thing in this case, and as a general
> facility, is to be able to detect (target of course) header files at the
> equivalent of configure time.  autoconf does this via AC_CHECK_HEADER,
> which uses the target compiler to compile a program that basically only
> has a #include.  This has been standard practice for years, and widely
> useful.  One of the points of feature tests rather than #ifdef on an os
> name is that the tests automatically extend to similar systems.  I
> realize you don't like aspects of autoconf, but this part was entirely
> successful.
>
> Surely scons must be able to do the equivalent of AC_CHECK_HEADER.  It's
> inconceivable that it's not a built-in feature.  What's going on?

What's going on is that I'm thinking about the cross-compilation case.  I
don't want to do a configure-like test if I can avoid it, because that
will test the endiannes of the build *host*, not the build *target*.

As much as possible I want to do this sort of test inside the cross-compiler,
so it will happen in the environment of the build *target*.