gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Metadata proposal

From: Roy Barkas
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Metadata proposal
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 16:57:19 +1100

Some time ago I submitted a proposal to allow metadata (in particular a timestamp that indicates when a message was received at a satellite) to be passed through GPSD along with the native sentences ( see http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gpsd-dev/2013-01/msg00022.html )

Is there any chance that this might make it into 3.10?

If not I'm going to have to do a very ugly workaround that comprises semi-decoding messages before they're sent to gpsd, buffering them and extracting some semblance of identifying info, then associating the buffered metadata with the decoded json when it comes back from gpsd.  As you can imagine this will be fraught with peril since the AIVDM sentences don't have any kind of unique identifiers.

Or worse yet I'll have to create my own AIVDM / metadata decoder which would be a shame.  I don't think I can reach the quality standard of gpsd by hacking some Python together as a decoder.

Thanks

Roy Barkas