gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] My issue queue is empty

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] My issue queue is empty
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 18:12:35 -0500

Hal Murray <address@hidden>:
> If I run gpsd and gpsmon non-direct, it says SiRF binary and shows lots of
> non-NMEA stuff.

That is expected.  An unfortunate misfeature of SiRFs is that there is no
way to make them reveal their SiRFness from text mode other than by sending
them the m,ode-change string to flip threm to SiRF binary.

> If I stop gpsd and run gpsmon -t SiRF direct, it says Generic NMEA(SiRF
> binary).  It starts in NMEA mode.  Does gpsd switch back to NMEA when it
> exits?

Yes; gpsd tries, on exit, to revert all configuration and mode changes it
has mode to the device.

The n command switches to binary.  The Generic NMEA in the header
> goes away.  Another n switches the data stream back to NMEA, but the display
> is stuck in binary mode.  The logging at the bottom is full of UNK.
>
> If I switch to binary and exit and restart (without -t), it starts up in SiRF
> Binary mode.  n acts as above: data switches but display doesn't.

Pull from the repo; it now reverts the display properly.  This is
something I fixed earlier today.  You can now switch modes any number
of times and the gpsmon display will track the current mode properly

> [blinking stuff on gpsmon input area]
>
> > That's interesting.  I didn't tell the text display it should blink; I
> > wonder why it's doing so for you? What's your terminal type?
>
> TERM=xterm

Strange.  That's mine, too, and I'm not seeing blinking.