gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] SiRF IV protocol incompatibility?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] SiRF IV protocol incompatibility?
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 21:29:19 -0800

Yo Eric!

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 20:13:27 -0500
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hal Murray <address@hidden>:
> > A year ago (well, July 2012) there are not-good comments from Gary.
> >   Subject: BR-353-S4
> >   http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.gps.gpsd.user/5556
> >   Date: 2012-07-03 07:14:31 GMT
> >   The short review: DO NOT EVER BUY ONE!
>
> The suckage does not seem to be protocol incompatibility, however.
> Makes me wonder what the RPi people are actually seeing.

The SiRF IV defaults to a speed of 4800, which is pretty unuseable.
Maybe they forgot to move it up to a reasonable speed.

I've fired up a SiRF IV here, it finally got an ephemeris, but still no
lock. gpsd is decoding the SiRF binary just fine, just not much in it to
decode until it gets a lock.  I'll have to take it outside to get a lock
but otherwise working as well (badly) as I remember.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588