gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] 3.10 is nearly ready; feature freeze time

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [gpsd-dev] 3.10 is nearly ready; feature freeze time
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 08:34:53 -0500 (EST)

The weeks of effort are paying off.  We're really down to chasing
details now - speed-tuning the regression tests and chasing unusual
cases in gpsmon.  Which is especially impressive because this release
has more new features and significant bug fixes than we've shipped
in one go since at least 2009.

Accordingly, I'm declaring feature freeze, with one exception
I'll get to in a moment. Gary, please live-test Garmin USB. Unless
we turn up a bug that takes us back to Condition Red, I'm planning
to ship 3.10 on or about 18 November, in 7 days.

I'd like confirmation that regression and live tests are good on
as many different platforms as possible in that time - *BSD people
and those on on-Intel platforms, please check in.

I plan to spend most of that week on the new Time Service HOWTO. My
goal is to go through the instructions myself with the EVK 6H,
checking for anything missing or misleading. I may build some helper
tools along the way, and I'm considering one minor addition to our
internal TIMING_ENABLE profiling facility to assist them (it should
probably track and report last PPS if PPS is available).

If there are any bugs or remaining issues you think I might not know
about, please speak now.

In recent years it has been suggested that the Second Amendment
protects the "collective" right of states to maintain militias, while
it does not protect the right of "the people" to keep and bear arms.
If anyone entertained this notion in the period during which the
Constitution and the Bill of Rights were debated and ratified, it
remains one of the most closely guarded secrets of the eighteenth
century, for no known writing surviving from the period between 1787
and 1791 states such a thesis.
        -- Stephen P. Halbrook, "That Every Man Be Armed", 1984