gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] scons quirks

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] scons quirks
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 02:05:53 -0500

Greg Troxel <address@hidden>:
> It seems 'scons install' will build targets.  That is a bug; it should
> refuse to build them, and refuse to proceed, erroring out instead.

First, the practical fix.  I've added libgps.pc, libgpsd.pc, and the
generated egg-info to the normal targets.  This means:

1. They get created by 'scons' (aka scons build).

2. They get cleaned by scons -c.

3. If you do scons build, then immediately scons install, no file creations
   will take place. It will be a pure sequences of copies except for the
   chrpath rwiddling, which doesn't change ownership.

Then the theoretical.  I agree that when run as root install should
ideally speaking error out with a useful message if requirements are
missing, rather than creating files.

I don't know how to arrange this in scons. But to be fair,
autoconf/make didn't work this way either.  I think this would call
for a basic change in the semantics of SCons's Install primitive.