gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] SiRF IV on gpsmon

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] SiRF IV on gpsmon
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 23:19:40 -0800

Yo Eric!

I had to change my ssh keys.  What do I need to do to get git
back with my new keys?  Until then my git pull scripts are broken.

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 10:17:54 -0500
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> When you say "before", do you mean on *this* SiRF-IV unit, a
> different SiRF-IV unit, or a SiRF-{I,II,II} unit?  Makes a big
> difference; we need to figure out whether your individual unit
> is defective or there has been a design change.

Yes, this SiRF IV was working recently.

> > I notice that gpsd is not waiting for the ACK's for each command.
> > Maybe we need to do that?
>
> We never have on any SiRF I, II, or III device.  Besides, how would
> the device know we're not going to wait on the response at message
> arrival time?

I read the SiRF IV doc.  It specifically says that once you initialize
a SiRCC IV that you must wait for each ACK before proceeding.  I found
that by lengthening the delays between initialization messages that
things work a bit better.  But the doc says that waits up to 4 seconds
may be required annd that sending another message before the ACK will
result in problems.  Looks pretty much like what I amm seeing.

> > > 1. Direct-mode gpsctl and gpsmon baud rate changes work for both
> > > of us on SiRF IIs and IIIs, and on the GR601-W.  I can also
> > > confirm the EVK 6H.
> >
> > Probably.
>
> I take that to mean you are not seeing bugs...

Not on u-blox or SiRF III, but I have been concentrating on the SiRF IV.

> > > 2. Direct-mode gpsctl baud rate changes on a SiRF IV fail for
> > > you.  I don't have one to test with.
> >
> > Certainly, and all control writes seem to fail.
>
> Discussed above.  I don't think we're going to fix this before 3.10.
> The best we can hope for is to discover whether this is a problem with
> SiRF-IV in general or your individual unit.

I believe this is on one and the same bug.

> > > 3. I am seeing PPS bars in gpsmon direct mode.  You are not.
> >
> > Yup.
>
> They're still there for me.  Still absent for you?  Please test -
> gpsmon has changed considerably while I was working on this.

I'lll need to pull git head.

> > > 4. Client-mode baud rate change attempts from either gpsctl or
> > > gpsmon fail.
> >
> > I have not tried gpsmon.  How would I do that?
>
> Sorry, that was my error.  Those commands are disabled in client-mode
> gpsmon.  It is theoretically possible they could be, but I'm not
> going to try this before 3.10.  I've added an item about this to the
> TO-DO.

It at least needs a warning message.

> > > 6. Both of us see PPS bars in JSON over telnet when ppsbar=true.
> >
> > Yup.
>
> Now they're JSON PPS objects.  You should be able to see them too.

I'll look.

> > > 7. ^C interrupts gpsd for me, but not for you.
> >
> > That depends.  It usually works, but there are some specific cases
> > when it does not work for me.  I suspect because gpsd is catching
> > the ^C then waiting for the ppsthread to end.
>
> Aha.  I've just pushed a changed that nulls all the session thread
> hook slots and the single context hook slot when a signal is
> received.  That may fix the problem.

Fingers crossed.

RGDS
GARY