gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] scons quirks

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] scons quirks
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 09:50:43 -0800

address@hidden said:
> Yes.  That's the chrpath rewrite happening.  But I believe that touches  a
> maximum of 4 files, shared-libraries.  It's not what's causing hundreds of
> rebuilds.

I don't know what's causing this:
address@hidden said:
> After scons install I have 153 root-owned files.

I'm seeing more than 4 but less than 20.

I think the chrpath stuff doesn't touch the local files.  It works on the
file after it gets installed.

I think the problem I was hitting is that DESTDIR gets wired into the
executables.  Things don't get relinked if I run scons install without a
DESTDIR or specify a DESTDIR on the "scons" step that does the initial build
and then scons install with that same DESTDIR.

After scons:
./gpsmon: RPATH=/home/murray/gpsd/gpsd2://usr/local/lib
After DESTDIR=scratchinstall scons install
./gpsmon: RPATH=/home/murray/gpsd/gpsd2:scratchinstall/usr/local/lib
./scratchinstall/usr/local/bin/gpsmon: RPATH=/usr/local/lib

After scons; scons install (no DESTDIR):
/usr/local/bin/gpsmon: RPATH=/usr/local/lib

I can't quite figure out what's going on there, but it doesn't make sense to
me to be including the target location in the build of the local copy if the
install step is going to remove it.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.