gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsmon can not connect to remote machine

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsmon can not connect to remote machine
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 17:13:08 -0500

address@hidden <address@hidden>:
> Hello,
>
> please remember, that
>
> gpsmon <remote_machine>
>
> stopped working yesterday evening...
>
> Here are the error messages...
>
> address@hidden:~/gpsd/gpsd$ ./gpsmon -n panda2
> gpsmon:ERROR: device open failed: No such file or directory - retrying
> read-only
> gpsmon:ERROR: read-only device open failed: No such file or directory
> gpsmon: activation of device panda2 failed, errno=2 (No such file or
> directory)

The correct form for a TCP/IP source is "gpsd://panda2" or
"tcp://panda2:2947"; gpsmon with no argument is equivalent to gpsmon
gpsd://localhost:2947.  Try gpsd://panda2.

I see looking at the gpsmon manual page that I had added a special
case for a bare server name.  But the old gpsmon initialization for
client mode was a messed-up source of bugs; I should have known it was
broken when somebody submitted a patch that special-cased
Bluetooth. Now the command-line argument is simply handed to the
generic device opener code, with no special cases.

I am divided in my mind over whether to restore your feature or remove
it from the documentation.  I now think it was a mistake and that all the
tools should use the same naming conventions for data sources. How
attached are to to not typing "gpsd://"?