gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsmon: says 8N1N1, missing error msg

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsmon: says 8N1N1, missing error msg
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 04:47:05 -0500

Hal Murray <address@hidden>:
> cut-paste from the upper left corner:
>   /dev/ttyUSB2 9600 8N1N1
> That's talking direct to a Sure board sending NMEA.
>
> How long should it take for gpsmon to get started if it's talking to a NMEA
> board at 9600?  Sometimes it takes close to 10 seconds.

That sounds ike a long autobaud sequence.

> I'm expecting something like this:
>   gpsmon:ERROR: PPS ioctl(TIOCMIWAIT) failed: 25 Inappropriate ioctl for
> device
>
> Sometimes I see it, but only after exiting gpsmon.  But sometimes it isn't
> there.
> I just saw one on the blank screen while it was trying to figure out what
> type of device it was talking to.

That 8N1N1 is the result of a very silly, trivial bug.  I just pushed
a silly, trivial fix for it.

Fortunately, during the quest for the missing PPS bars, I wrote
exactly the option you need to inquire into the 10 second stall and
TIOCMIWAIT further.  Run 'gsmon -a /dev/ttyUSB2' with -D set to 4 or 5
or so.

This will start gpsmon in a line-oriented mode, with the debug log
messages interspersed with the packet reports - no screen painting, no
headers.  Commands still work: if you type a character it will suspend
packet logging and show a line-oriented prompt.  The \n at the end of the
command will resume the main loop.

If you need more instrumentation added to understand what's going on, adding it
to *this mode* is simple and low-overhead.