gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] chrpath dependency

From: Christian Gagneraud
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] chrpath dependency
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 17:14:28 +1300

On 22/11/13 16:17, Hal Murray wrote:

address@hidden said:
As I'm setting up a new machine, I just realised what happens if you  don't
have chrpath installed (see session log below).

It will work if you don't have chrpath.  It's just that scons check will use
the installed libraries rather than the ones you just built and haven't
installed yet.

Well, if you want to run the test, it doesn't work (you don't want to link to something else than the lib you just built), The SConstruct contains a mix of static and dynamic builds, but there's a couple of problems:
- there's no code for building libgpsd.a
- the link flags don't enforce static link, so in case of parallel build, the test app will be link either on libgps.a or .so, depending on which one get built first (and the phase of the moon as well) - the test apps have no dependencies on the static libs, but they have on the shared ones...

I think the Sconstruct needs some cleanup:
- make the test apps depends on the static libs only
- ensure that the test apps are linked against the static libs even if the shared one are already built or not

I had an attempt to fix this some time ago, but i gave up as it's not as simple as it seems, although it should be.

Is this tool available on *BSD as well or is it linux specific?

It's available on FreeBSD and NetBSD.

At least that's good news! thanks.

Chris