gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Planning a 3.11 snap release

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Planning a 3.11 snap release
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 10:04:58 -0500

Greg Troxel <address@hidden>:
> You might call this 3.10.1, to make the point that anyone running 3.10
> should upgrade.  Or perhaps if they are actually running 3.10 it's not
> that important.

It isn't.

> There's something else to address, but unclear if it should touch 3.11.

It's a build issue.  I've declared those in scope for 3.11.

> I think that if the first two things are addressed, gpsd pps support
> will likely work on NetBSD.  (I have working pps support via
> sys/timepps.h in ntpd with a GR601-W, using my soon-to-be-upstream USB
> pps changes.  Real serial pps appears in NetBSD sources in 1998, and was
> then spiffed up tracking the drafts of RFC2783 over several years.)

I think it would be a nice win to have PPS support working on any non-Linux.

I've pushed an SConstruct change that should fix this if your analysis
is correct. It clears pps only if pps is set and neither timepps.h nor
TIOCMIWAIT are available, and it does include sys/time.h where you
suggest. The resulting build passes regressions here.

> And finally, I built 3.10 (from git tag) on NetBSD 5 and 6 (i386), and
> there are only some apparently-timing-based sporadic regresssion
> failures.  I also live-tested with a GR601-W on NetBSD 5 (pps does not
> work, but the rest seems ok).

Thanks, that's nice to know. Maybe you'll even have PPS working soon!