gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Adding new data fields to gps.h

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Adding new data fields to gps.h
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:19:23 -0500

address@hidden <address@hidden>:
> Hallo,
>
> is it O.K. to add fields for
>
> speed though water,
> wind speed,
> wind direction,
> log total and
> log today
>
> to the attitude structure?
> Insert them before the mag_st field to avoid alignment issues, or after the
> yaw_st field to be compatible with earlier versions?
>
> I will use SI units, meter, meter/sec, and rad for the direction?

I don't think these properly belong in the attitude structure at all.
It would be better to make them new elements of gpsdata_t or create a
new structure to hold them. How frequently are they reported?

Of course this would mean a break in binary API compatibility, but
occasionally we have to live with that. Infrequent large breaks are
better than more frequent little ones; what *other* NMEA2000 fields should
we add in order to avoid having another one any time soon?