gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Parallel build broken?

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Parallel build broken?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 23:40:22 -0800

Thanks for digging out the details.

address@hidden said:
> The real reason it "finds" the satellites is that modern GPS units have
> enough correlators to "listen" to all the SVs independently at the same
> time, so it doesn't have to find anything at all.

I think it's more complicated than that.

You can't listen to a SV unless you know where it is and (roughly) where you
are so you can compute the Doppler shift to determine what frequency to
listen on.

> In fact any modern receiver can get fix right from the cold start in few
> seconds if ephemeris data is uploaded to it from some external source (e.g.
> from the Internet, "AGPS solutions").

Again, that assumes you know roughly where you are and the time so you can
calculate where the satellites are so you can figure out what frequency to
listen on.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.