gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] scons quirks

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] scons quirks
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:08:18 -0800

address@hidden said:
> The Unix FSSTD mandates /usr/local/.  Only the distro can install in /usr/.

The context was packaging for a distro.  Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.
>>> It would be nice if packagers didn't have to use chrpath at all.

>> A secondary approach for testing is just to install the new code and
>> test it post install.
> Gack.  Imagine if libc did that?

Again, I was thinking of packaging rather than development.  I was assuming
that you would be pretty confident that the code was OK before you bothered
to package it and testing was more of a sanity check on the packaging than
looking for obscure bugs in the code.

How do people test the packaging step?  Don't you have to install it on some
system?

---------

This whole tangle is due to using shared libraries.  There must be lots of
projects doing that.  Isn't this a solved problem?  Do they all use RPATH?
How do distros package things without using chrpath?  Does make handle this
better than scons?  (maybe only because there are more examples to copy)  ...

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.