gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] scons quirks

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] scons quirks
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 22:49:50 -0800

> What should I type to build things without any RPATH cruft?  He's packaging
> things for a distro so the libraries will get installed in /usr/lib rather
> than /usr/local/lib so there is no need for RPATH.

Apologies if my message appeared snarky, but I wasn't smart enough to see the
big picture before I hit send.

I think there are three cases:
  build for testing/development
  install the current stuff
  build for packaging

"scons" does the first.
"scons install" does the the second.  It copies over the current stuff and
then uses chrpath to fixup the RPATH stuff to point to where it will (or did)
install the libraries.

I don't know what to type to get the third case.  I want the local
executables and libraries to have the right RPATH stuff so I can copy them
over into the the packaging file (rpm, whatever...)

Perhaps things should be stored in a staging directory so the executables in
the local directory will continue to work.  (That sounds like a good policy.)

----------

There is an additional tangle if you specify a DESTDIR.

scons is setup with a default of /usr/local  That needs an RPATH (or
something?) to get the libraries from /usr/local/lib rather than /usr/lib

Miroslav wants to install in /usr which doesn't need any RPATH.  The current
scons install leaves a RPATH of /usr/lib rather than deleting it.

The current scons also mangles the RPATH in the local executables if you
specify a DESTDIR.  I don't think that makes sense.  When it's installing
things, it copies and then chrpaths the copied vesion.  Why should it change
(break?) the local stuff before the copy?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.