gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Time autonomy

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Time autonomy
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 10:09:02 -0800

>>   If gpsd build epoch == NMEA epoch:  simple case, use it
>>   if gpsd epoch < NMEA epoch:
>>     new NMEA, use future epoch from NMEA
>>   if gpsd epoch > NMEA epoch:
>>      old NMEA lies, bump epoch from NMEA (maybe multiple times)

> This smells too complicated to me, like you're trying to squeeze more
> information out of the date than is actually there.  It's really just (week,
> tow, leap_offset) underneath.

No, you also get the build date from the firmware in the device.
Unfortunately, you don't get it directly but only indirectly in terms of the
date.  If it's newer than the gpsd build date, you can get accurate results
beyond 20 years past the gpsd build date.  If it's older than the gpsd build
date, you can correct for bogus dates until 20 years past the gpsd build date.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.