gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] scons quirks

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] scons quirks
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 12:08:32 -0500

Hal Murray <address@hidden>:
> There are 2 problems tangled up with RPATH.
>
> One is testing the new code before it gets installed.  The other is that the
> default installation goes to /usr/local/xxx rather than /usr/xxx.
>
> If you are going to install the libraries in /usr/lib/, then the executables
> don't need any RPATH to find them.  I think scons with chrpath=no should
> handle that case.  A line or 2 of code in the right place could leave out the
> RPATHs totally rather than setting them to /usr/lib

Good idea. Done and pushed.

> That leaves the problem of how to test things.  I think the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> environment variable does the same thing.  If so scons check could use that.

Also a good idea.  I just verified that setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the
scons recipe makes the regression tests run locally *without* messing with
RPATH and chrpath intervention afterwards.

Accordingly, I'm removing chrpath as a build dependency and setting the
chrpath default to 'no'. Unless chrpath=yes we will no longer mess with
RPATH at all.