gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Has anybody tried the SiRF S4?

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Has anybody tried the SiRF S4?
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 14:06:08 -0400

Hal Murray <address@hidden>:
> Has anybody updated firmware on SiRF devices?
> (from Linux rather than Windows)

I don't know any way to do this, alas.

> How does gpsmon decide to poll for the Firmware Version?

gpsmon doesn't decisde this, it's up to the device driver and
is normally done once shortly after driver initialization time.

> Is there any key I can use to get it to try again?
> (Are there other packet types only polled occasionally?)

The 'i' command initiates a probe for subtype.  I think
this is the only such exceptional case.

> In SiRF mode, the lower left block of gpsmon says Measured Tracker, Packet
> Type 4.
> The two rightmost column are labeled "?" and "SF".
> What do they mean?

The ? column tells whether the corresponding satellite was used in the
last fix. SF stands for "Subframe" and occasionally reports something from
the 50bps data, but I'm not sure what - I think someone else (probably
ckuethe) wrote that bit.