gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Warning messages re: AIS type 24 and type 21 message leng

From: Roy Barkas
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Warning messages re: AIS type 24 and type 21 message length
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 13:55:32 +1000

Ok, then how do I reconcile the following case where first gpsd complains that 160 is less than 168, then a few seconds later
complains that 168 is > 160?  Based on your explanation, the first is not decoded and the second is decoded, but gpsd seems confused about the correct size to look for.  Is this a type 24 part A vs part B issue?

Aug 20 02:57:39 sop gpsd[3465]: gpsd:ERROR: AIVDM message type 24 size < 168 bits (160).
Aug 20 02:58:12 sop gpsd[3465]: gpsd:WARN: AIVDM message type 24 size > 160 bits (168).

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:
Roy Barkas <address@hidden>:
> Using latest HEAD  version, the following log messages are flying
> through.....
> If the warning message implies that the messages are not being decoded then
> I'm worried.
> If the warning messages are just informative and the messages are being
> decoded anyway then that's better.

The '>' messagesdon't prevent an attempt to decode.  The '<' messages
(indicating an incomplete sentence) do prevent it.