gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Pre-release heads-up

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Pre-release heads-up
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 01:03:30 -0400 (EDT)

This is the 48-hour pre-release heads-up.  I have dealt with the bug
backlogs in our project bugtracker, the Debian bug database, and my
inbox.

Very few core code changes this time.  The three big activity areas
since 3.10 have been Inland AIS support in the AIS driver, the ntpshm
code, and the SCons build recipe.  The SiRF triver got a bug fix.

My remaining pre-release tasks are:

* Run cppcheck/splint/coverity, fix any bad code smells they turn up.

* Look at the Debian porterbox test logs and see if there are any
  obvious port fixes to make

If you have any urgent issues, please speak up now.  I'm aware the
SiRF-IV mess is not completely resolved; at this point that's
probably going to have to wait for the next development cycle.

I might tag this one 3.11-rc  and ship final 3.11 closer to Bernd's
deadline.  I haven't decided that yet.

If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation
should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of
criminal acts reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so
after a century and a half of trying -- that they must sweep under the
rug the southern attempts at gun control in the 1870-1910 period, the
northeastern attempts in the 1920-1939 period, the attempts at both
Federal and State levels in 1965-1976 -- establishes the repeated,
complete and inevitable failure of gun laws to control serious crime.
        -- Senator Orrin Hatch, in a 1982 Senate Report