gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] n followed by n in gpsmon

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] n followed by n in gpsmon
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 12:56:58 -0700

>>   "n" switches the display to NMEA layout, but the header still says SiRF.
> That is correct behavior.  The program is telling you that, although it is
> receiving NMEA, it hasn't forgotten the fact that the attached device is a
> SiRF and you can use SiRF control strings on it.

>>   Another "n" now says: Device type has no mode switcher.

> Yeah, that was a bug.  What was happening is that when the device resynched
> to NMEA it lost its pointer to the SiRF mrthod table.  I believe it's fixed
> in the repo version; please test.

It now switches back and forth as expected.  Thanks.

--------

Another bug/quirk.  If you start gpsmon pointing at a dead device, it never
tells you it has given up trying to make contact.  The screen stays blank.
If you type anything at it, it shows:
  /dev/gps0 9600 8N1            Unknown device> x

[My handy test case is SiRF-4.  It switches to binary OK, but dies when
trying to switch back to NMEA.  Power cycle fixes it.]

Suggestion:
  It should get the Firmware info if it starts up in SiRF mode.
  The Firmware info doesn't change, so that screen space could be shared with
something else if you need more room.  (That's assuming a command to switch.
Maybe asking for the firmware version info could go there.)

The PPS line in the bottom/logging area and/or log file should show the time
offset.

If you want to get fancy, you could add an option to put a time stamp on the
front of the logging info.  I'm mostly interested in relative times, so
seconds+microsec per day is probably more useful than HH:MM:SS format.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.