gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] n followed by n in gpsmon

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] n followed by n in gpsmon
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 00:25:13 -0700

>> Suggestion:
>>   It should get the Firmware info if it starts up in SiRF mode.

> When I run it on a SiRF emitting binary, I already see a Firmware Version
> box filled in. Accordingly, I don't understand your request.

If it's in SiRF binary mode when I start it, the Firmware slot never gets
filled in.  It does get filled in when I start in NMEA mode and poke "i" to
switch to SiRF.

Mumble.  This mail system doesn't support fancy ascii graphics so cut/paste
gives garbage on my mail window.  Maybe it will make sense on yours.  On my
gpsmon window, the Firmware Version slot is blank.

┌ Measured Tracker ──────────┐┌ Firmware Version
──────────────────────────────┐
│Ch PRN  Az El Stat  C/N ? SF││
     │
│ 0  11 303 35 00bf 32.8 T   │└─────── Packet Type 6 (0x06)
───────────────────┘

--------

>> The PPS line in the bottom/logging area and/or log file should
>> show the time offset.

> I'm never quite sure what people mean when they say "the time offset". Given
> the time of receipt of the PPS pulse as a Unix timestamp to microsecond
> resolution, what function of it do you want displayed?

I'm looking for whatever it takes to debug timekeeping issues.  Just knowing
that a PPS happened is only half the battle.  The PPS offset as displayed on
screen above would be fine.

-------

>> If you want to get fancy, you could add an option to put a time
>> stamp on the front of the logging info.  I'm mostly interested in
>> relative times, so seconds+microsec per day is probably more
> useful than HH:MM:SS format.

> What's the use case for this?

Standard glitch chasing sort of thing.  If I'm the only one interested in
timing from log fiiles, you should probably ignore me.

I think I have a python hack that does what I want.  It only works with
NMEA/text/lines.  I'll find it, clean it up, and make it available if anybody
wants it.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.