gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] PPS in 3.11

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: [gpsd-dev] PPS in 3.11
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 14:35:21 -0700

Yo All!

Uh, oh.  I see Miroslav's patch broke some unstated assumptions.

His patch used the CALCULATED time of the last NMEA timestamp
(last_fixtime_real).  Not the RECEIVED time of the last NMEA
timestamp (last_fixtime_clock).

That introduces a race between PPS and NMEA time and breaks the
assumption that the PPS time is on the edge of the next second.

I can also see how some misleading variable names and unneeded
copying and renameing of variables is confusing things.

For example 'drift' implies to me a delta or rate of some kind, like
the drift of a boat.  Instead it is an exact benchmark point in time.

I'm gonna have to noodle over it a bit, but it is clearly broken.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588