gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] AIS NMEA TAG Blocks

From: Ed W
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] AIS NMEA TAG Blocks
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 00:42:16 +0100

Hi

p.s. The tag blocks are the 'metadata' that I have referred to in the past and would, if implemented in gpsd / gpsdecode, replace my need for JSON passthrough. I just didn't realize until recently that this 'metadata' was actually called 'tag blocks :-)

Feature request: I would like to see an option to get the NMEA data out of gpsd, but augmented with a timestamp on each sentence and details of which input fed in the data. TAG blocks appear to solve that problem perfectly. So the feature request is simply an option that inserts a TAG block for each emitted sentence from GPSd with a timestamp and some handle which references the input method for the sentence.

I think all this is effectively emitted with the JSON output (?), so really this is just adding it to the NMEA sentence output options via the TAG structure

Thanks for listening..

Ed W