gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] SiRF IV flakiness explored

From: Drew from Zhrodague
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] SiRF IV flakiness explored
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 10:07:40 -0400

On 8/29/14 7:04 AM, address@hidden (Eric S. Raymond) wrote:
My conclusion:  This is neither a problem in GPSD nor a problem GPSD
can solve. There is some kind of race condition in the SiRF-IV
firmware that cannot be prevented by waiting for ACKs.  The best we
can do is warn users that this chip is flaky.  Which is probably a
good idea anyway, as it trades away sensitivity in order to reduce
its power draw and is poor at getting fixes without a clear skyview.

I have one of these El Cheapo SiRF-IV GPS units on my roof, and I have it setup with gpsd. I've noticed that it doesn't work so well in
SiRF-mode, and I generally force it to NMEA mode on startup to get it
working (at all).

Are there any recent updates that make the SiRF binary worK? Is it any improvement over NMEA to use the SiRF binary mode? I'm using this version of gpsd:

gpsd: 3.11~dev (revision release-3.10-181-gd6b65b4)

--

Drew from Zhrodague
post-apocalyptic ad-hoc industrialist