gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] SiRF IV flakiness explored

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] SiRF IV flakiness explored
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 14:52:01 -0400

Drew from Zhrodague <address@hidden>:
>       I have one of these El Cheapo SiRF-IV GPS units on my roof, and I
> have it setup with gpsd. I've noticed that it doesn't work so well in
> SiRF-mode, and I generally force it to NMEA mode on startup to get it
> working (at all).
>
>       Are there any recent updates that make the SiRF binary worK? Is it
> any improvement over NMEA to use the SiRF binary mode? I'm using
> this version of gpsd:
>
> gpsd: 3.11~dev (revision release-3.10-181-gd6b65b4)

When you say "doesn't work so well", what do you mean? Does it fail
to get fixes?

There are a couple of desirable features you can't enable in NMEA mode.
Of these, probably the most important is using SBAS corrections.

That revision is very recent.  I don't think there have been any
significant driver changes since.