gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] State of GPSD

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] State of GPSD
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 10:16:51 -0400

address@hidden (Eric S. Raymond) writes:

> I know some of our contributors complain about releases being rushed
> and too much happening at the last minute.  That would change - if
> there were any more reliable way than a release warning to get people
> other than me to wake up and pay attention to the state of the
> project.

There isn't a more reliable way, because people with too few cycles are
willing to check things for a release but not every week, and aren't
always able to do it within 48h.  All I'm asking is for about 1 calendar
week between freeze announcement (which should really mean actual bug
fixes only, not random other changes that seem mostly harmless) and
tagging.

> In other words - if you want pre-release testing of new features, the
> time to work on them is *now*.  Not when I've announced an upcoming
> release and everyone is in a tearing hurry to get their favorite fix
> or feature in muy pronto.

That's a separate issue.   Last-minute rushes cause bugs.  So when you
announce it's release time, you could have the freeze start then.