gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Time for a snap release of GPSD

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Time for a snap release of GPSD
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 23:00:46 -0500

Today a Raspberry Pi developer accosted me on #gpsd with a bug report about
excessive power drain associated with GPSD on his Pi.  We were able to track
the bug down to its cause - a slightly buggy select(2) implementation - and
develop a workaround that introduces an adaptive delay into the GPSD main loop.

There have been chronic reports of what I think is this same bug
causing rapid power drain on certain Android phones.  Therefore I
think it is important to get this fix fielded as soon as possible to
maximize the odds of getting it into the next Android point release.

Accordingly, I want to get a 3.12 release out this coming week.

Gary, please test time service and the problem children

Hal, your Fedora timezone issue is now my top priority and the one thing I will
be looking to certainly fix before release.

Everyone else: if you know of any relese-blocker issues, speak up now.