gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ntpd/gpsd tangle

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ntpd/gpsd tangle
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 15:26:32 -0500

Hal Murray <address@hidden>:

> address@hidden said:
> > Looks like whatever ought to be on the other ennd of that socket is either
> > dead (hence the SIGPIPE reported earlier) or not accepting data.
>
> I was restarting ntpd.  I assume that's a legitimate use case.  :)
>
> Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it doesn't.  I think this explains all the
> troubles I was having.

OK, I want to be sure I know what's going on here.  You were restarting ntpd
*while gpsd was running*?

It would not at all surprise me if this fails; in fact, if you're
using the new JSON driver I would expect it to fail.  If that's what's
going on I need to add some documentation that you can't do that, and
explain why.

There is still a possible gpsd bug here.  When a client disappears without
closing its socket, gpsd is supposed to close down its end of the connection
gracefully after a timeout interval.  If that is failing to happen we need
to understand why.