gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Status driver_nmea2000.c

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Status driver_nmea2000.c
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 15:03:57 -0800

Yo Eric!

On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 07:51:43 -0500
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> > One other item that might be easy to do.  The ntpd guys would like
> > the TPV JSON message to have the time stamp when the TPV wass
> > receiver.  Which is related to the gpsmon problem in #1 above, but
> > already known in gpsd. It just needs to be added to the TPV, or in
> > another related message.
>
> The PPS message already includes clock time of the last fix.

Yes, but that is not related to TPV time of receipt.  Totally
different subjject.

> Given that, I'd like to understand why they think they want the same
> stamp in the TPV before I do it. I don't see that it adds any
> information.

You are correct, what you think they want adds no info.  But that is
not what they want.  They want (need) the local clock time when the
first GPS message of the second arrived.

That is how we calculate SHM(0) time.

Since the first message may not even be a TPV related message I suggest
an optional, off by default, JSON message that ships the time in the
first received message of the second, and the time in that messages.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588