gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Major progress!

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Major progress!
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 20:33:45 -0800

address@hidden said:
> Yeah, Hal's situation seems to be that he's running an older production gpsd
> and tests on a newer one at the same time.

Yes.  Doesn't it make sense to run the tests before installing new code?

Am I expected to stop gpsd before I run a test?  If so, I'd expect the test
script to check and complain.

But that's not the real problem.  Or perhaps something is going on that I don't
understand.

I'm assuming that both gpsd and the test setup think they own a chunk of SHM.
Yet they are both using the same Key so they are both using/sharing the same
block of memory.  Is that what you want?  What are they using it for?  Does it
make sense for both of them to use it?  How do you handle initialization?  Is
there anything like a lock?  What if one crashes with the lock held?  ...

I don't know my way around the test package.  I'd expect there would be a test
flag that would get passed in when running tests.  It would use separate Keys
for SHM and listen on separate TCP/UDP ports.  Or something like that.

Does it make sense to run several instances of the test setup in parallel?  If
so, the flag needs to be more complicated that just a boolean.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.