gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd style change?

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd style change?
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 11:14:59 -0500

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

> Greg Troxel <address@hidden>:
>> I'm not against moving declarations to inner scopes, but IIRC that's a
>> C99 vs C89 thing.  We do need to be clear on the target language
>> specification, vs coding to what whatever gcc version is installed
>> accepts.
>
> I don't understand how C89 vs. C99 enters into it.  Explain?

My memory is a bit fuzzy.  Long ago, one could only declare variables at
the top of a function, before any statements.  I think that's still true
in C89, and C99 permitted arbitrary ordering (as a nod to C++).

> For the record, I do assume C99.  Among other things, the code makes
> significant use of bool, designated initializers, and inline.

That seems entirely reasonable in 2015.
There does seem to be a trailing-edge attitude in the embedded world
about sticking to C89 much longer than others did.

> However, I don't intermix declarations with executable statements because
> that gives splint the screaming fantods (dies with an internal error). Nor
> does the code use variadic macros, flexible arrays, type-generic math,
> or type complex.

Entirely reasonable, but should be documented.