gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd style change?

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd style change?
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 14:13:17 -0500

Greg Troxel <address@hidden>:
> > I don't understand how C89 vs. C99 enters into it.  Explain?
>
> My memory is a bit fuzzy.  Long ago, one could only declare variables at
> the top of a function, before any statements.  I think that's still true
> in C89, and C99 permitted arbitrary ordering (as a nod to C++).

There are actually three possible restrictions:

1. Declarations allowed only at the beginning of a function block.

2. Declarations allowed at the beginning of any block.

3. Declarations may intermix with executable code.

I believe that C89 allowed 2 and that if any compiler had restriction 1 it
was very far back, like in pcc days.  But my memory is also fuzzy, I could
be wrong about this.  Gary might be able to say something definite.

> > For the record, I do assume C99.  Among other things, the code makes
> > significant use of bool, designated initializers, and inline.
>
> That seems entirely reasonable in 2015.
> There does seem to be a trailing-edge attitude in the embedded world
> about sticking to C89 much longer than others did.

That certainly used to be true.  On the other hand, I have yet to hear
about *any* embedded porting issue re GPSD that reduces to "C99
feature, aaarggh!" so those days may be behind us.  Since, oh, 2006 or
so, I think.  Embedded toolchains are a hell of a lot less quirky than
they were a decade ago.

> > However, I don't intermix declarations with executable statements because
> > that gives splint the screaming fantods (dies with an internal error). Nor
> > does the code use variadic macros, flexible arrays, type-generic math,
> > or type complex.
>
> Entirely reasonable, but should be documented.

New draft section for the Hacking Guide:

<h2 id="standards">C, standards and style</h2>

encouraged to use <code>bool</code>, designated initializers,
that type specifiers will default to int.</p>

statements within a block, because that gives one of our code checkers
the screaming fantods (splint dies with an internal error).  Do,
however, declare variables at the front of the <em>smallest</em> enclosing
block.</p>

arrays, type-generic math, or type complex. Think carefully before
introducing these and don't do it without discussion on the
development list first.</p>

environments using (for example) uClibc.</p>

formatting.  Be aware that if your patch seems disharmonious with what
is around it, your code may be reformatted, so try to blend in.</p>

the operating system.</p>