gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] SiRF gpsmon client mode

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] SiRF gpsmon client mode
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 23:30:18 -0500

Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> Yeah, I made it wider, but not wide enough for bad cases.  Also not
> sure why PPS is in the packet 7 box?  Clearly it is not in a packet.

Both problems have the same cause: we're badly short on screen space
if we want the top panel and at least one line of log window to fit
in a 80x25 terminal emulator.  I spent a lot of ingenuity packing
stuff in tight, but I admit the results are not entirely satisfactory.

> Plus still the garbage on the right.

I think that garbage is remnants of what was onscreen before the panel
was painted.  You can test this by doing a 'clear' before calling
gpsmon; if I'm right, there will be no garbage.

> Pull git head and check it out.  I think the PPS in gpsmon now
> looking almost good.  Still need to fix that ntpshm_latch() is
> called more than once a second in gpsmon hardware mode.

It's on my list of things to look at.

>                                 Probably
> put a mutext on last_fixtime, just in case.

Agreed.

> Then test the garmin PPS and we may be good.

Not quite, though it is encouraging that the BSD tests now seem to be working.
Other known issues:

* gpsdecode crashes on Mac OS X (probably a linker-option problem).

* shmget() creation failures.